Malaysia encourages companies in this sub-sector to design, sell, and maintain electronic industrial solutions for businesses – from the electrical grid to user endpoints
Industrial electronics refers to electronic products such as computer peripherals, equipment, telecommunication devices, transmitters, routers and embedded systems.
Malaysia enjoys trade benefits through the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade’s (GATT) Generalised System of Preferences (GSP), unilateral trade agreements, and trade liberalisation such as AFTA (Asian Free Trade Agreement), ASEAN (Association of South-East Asian Nation) and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Agreement. The RCEP aims to create a liberal, facilitative and competitive environment in the region along with improved investment facilitation provisions as well as investor aftercare. The nation also has world-class infrastructure, technological expertise, and manufacturing diversity to meet the demands of global business customers.
Malaysia’s industrial electronics sub-sector is prioritising high technology applications to move the E&E industry towards higher value-added activities. This sub-sector is moving towards greater sophistication through advanced technology applications to create more complex products. To date, Malaysia features an established electronic industrial cluster that is concentred in Penang and Kulim, Kedah.
Total Approved Investments
Total Approved Investments in 2020
Mechatronics & Robotics
Professional Scientific and Test Measuring Equipment
Test and measurement devices are analytical equipment and instruments that detect and measure physical properties, biological interactions, and electrical signals. The global test and measurement market plays an important role in the development of new products and technologies.
The rising demand for
advanced PCBs and surface mounted
This is expected to drive the automated
optical inspection system market in the
Technically-advanced electronic machines require efficiently tested PCBs to meet the manufacturing and safety standards applied for their development. The automated optical inspection system market offers application-specific testing and fault detection at every stage of the PCB production process.
The Ministry of Communications and Multimedia expressed the commitment to the country’s preparations for the ‘roll-out’ of 5G technology by the end of 2022 or early 2023, with connectivity placed as one of the government’s priorities. The matter will be implemented with specific planning and targets as stated in the National Digital Network Plan (JENDELA).
The measures for the 5G network project implementation includes the availability of connectivity, recipient, regulation and industry. A total of 70 per cent of 5G deployment is expected for the use of industries while the remaining 30 per cent is for public use.
The 5G Demonstration Project showed much success. During a 5G demonstration in the oil and gas industry, robots were successfully used to replace engineers remotely and 5G was used to solve two major problems related to the oil rigs, namely worker safety and increasing efficiency
5G technologies also provide significant benefits in the tourism sector by offering new experiences. For example, with virtual reality technology, tourists are offered 360-degree views of attractions through HD video live streaming to VR lenses or LCD panels.
JENDELA, which aims to improve the level of connectivity and quality of communication, will be implemented in phases nationwide with a target of 96.9 per cent 4G coverage in populated areas with 35 Mbps mobile broadband speeds by the end of 2022. JENDELA is among efforts to improve the country’s digital infrastructure by addressing the increasing need for higher quality fixed and mobile broadband coverage, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
JENDELA will be implemented under the 12th Malaysia Plan (2021-2025) and will lay the foundation to prepare the country for the transition to 5G technology.