Jakel invests in data centre project worth RM1.2 bil - MIDA | Malaysian Investment Development Authority
contrastBtngrayscaleBtn oku-icon


plusBtn crossBtn minusBtn


This site
is mobile


Jakel invests in data centre project worth RM1.2 bil

Jakel invests in data centre project worth RM1.2 bil

01 Jun 2024

Jakel Group is partnering with PiDC Holding Bhd to build a 51MW data centre in Cyberjaya worth RM1.2 billion.

In a statement on Saturday, Jakel said it is taking up a 40% stake in the project, Pi Data Centre Sdn Bhd, while the remaining 60% is held by PiDC.

The data centre will be a state-of-the-art Tier III Data Centre spanning a 7.3-acre site in Cyberjaya.

The project will be built in three phases, with the construction of the first phase starting in the third quarter of this year and being completed in the fourth quarter of 2025.

“A large portion of the phase 1 capacity is already committed, indicating strong demand for data centres,” Jakel said.

Jakel managing director Datuk Seri Mohamed Faroz Mohamed said the investment in the data centre marked a significant milestone in the group’s journey to diversify its portfolio into digital infrastructure from its existing business in textiles, property, plantations, healthcare, and military equipment.

“This investment underscores our dedication to exploring new opportunities and expanding our expertise in dynamic markets. Additionally, the project aligns with broader national agendas, such as MyDIGITAL.

“It will contribute to the development of robust digital infrastructure and facilitate the growth of the digital workforce, enhancing Malaysia’s capabilities in digital innovation,” he said in the statement.

Meanwhile, Jakel Capital Sdn Bhd director Muhammad Ashraf said digital infrastructure is part of the group’s diversification strategy.

“The Jakel family has committed RM1 billion in capital for investment in 2024, with a larger capital commitment expected in 2025.

“In addition to this venture, the Jakel Group’s strategic investments include a significant stake in Cypark Resources Bhd (KL:CYPARK), a renewable energy firm listed on Bursa Malaysia, where Jakel emerged as the largest shareholder in January 2023,” he added.

PiDC Holdings Sdn Bhd is a local data centre operator co-founded by Ong Chin Seong, who brings over two decades of global experience in the design, construction and operation of data centres.

Ong, who also serves as the current chairman of the National Tech Association of Malaysia (Pikom), has successfully designed and developed many data centres, both domestically and internationally.

Source: The Edge Malaysia