contrastBtngrayscaleBtn oku-icon


plusBtn crossBtn minusBtn


This site
is mobile


24 Students Graduated From MIDA-MOE-FMM Apprenticeship Programme

24 Students Graduated From MIDA-MOE-FMM Apprenticeship Programme

Second phase will commence at the end of April 2019

Kuala Lumpur, 21 March 2019 – A total of 24 graduates from the first batch of the Apprenticeship Programme received their ‘Sijil Kemahiran Malaysia’ at the convocation ceremony held at the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA)’s headquarters, today. The programme is a joint-effort between MIDA and the Ministry of Education Malaysia (MOE), the Department of Skills Development (DSD) and the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM).

The Apprenticeship Programme is a 2-year initiative which targets PT3 (‘Pentaksiran Tingkatan Tiga’ or Form Three Assessment) leavers. This programme is adapted from the German TVET training model, of which 70 per cent of training is carried out in the industry while the remaining 30 per cent is conducted in training institutions. This is a fast-track programme which aims to provide skilled workers that can be absorbed immediately into the industry.

The event was attended by Mr. Zabidi Mahbar, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of MIDA and Dato’ Sri Norazman Ayob, Deputy Secretary General (Trade) of International Trade and Industry (MITI) who represented the Minister of MITI, YB Datuk Darell Leiking.

In YB Datuk Darell’s speech, which was read by Dato’ Sri Norazman Ayob, “This Apprenticeship Programme is a good example of MIDA’s industry-academia initiative to produce a high-skilled workforce capable of contributing substantially to the industry development. In line with the National Policy on Industry 4.0 or the Industry4WRD launched last year, the Government continues to promote cooperation between educational and skills institutions with the industry to ensure that graduates do not only have basic knowledge but are able to adapt to current technological changes. I am very delighted to know that MIDA will be bringing this programme to the national level with greater involvement from more than 100 companies and 700 students.”

The first series of the Apprenticeship Programme involved five companies namely Royal Selangor International, Top Glove, Gethi Engineering, Fire Fighter Industry and YKGI Holdings as well as three vocational colleges namely Setapak Vocational College, Klang Vocational College and Sungai Buloh Vocational College.

Mr Zabidi, Deputy CEO of MIDA who read the speech on behalf of Dato’ Azman Mahmud, CEO of MIDA, said, “The availability of skilled manpower is crucial in transforming all sectors of the economy towards knowledge-intensive activities, promoting employee productivity and attracting quality investments into Malaysia. Every year, the number of manufacturing projects approved by MIDA continues to increase. Therefore, industry-led training for the development of local skilled-workforce and industry-academia cooperation is required to ensure that the offerings are in line with industry demand. Hence, this program is a game-changer to drive the TVET agenda forward. The second phase of the MIDA-MOE-FMM Apprenticeship Programme will commence in late April 2019. MIDA urge more companies to come on board to create more placement opportunities for the participants of this programme.”

These graduates were presented with their ‘Sijil Kemahiran Malaysia’or Malaysian Skills Certificate in the areas of Industrial Machining, Electrical Technology, Electronic Technology and Welding Technology.


About MIDA

MIDA is the Government’s principal promotion agency under the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) to oversee and drive investments into the manufacturing and services sectors in Malaysia. Starting operations in 1967, MIDA has grown to become a dynamic organisation of over 700 employees. Headquartered in Kuala Lumpur Sentral, MIDA has 12 regional and 20 overseas offices. MIDA continues to be the strategic partner to businesses, seizing opportunities arising from the technology revolution.

For further inquiries, please contact:

Mr. Mohamad Ismail Abu Bakar

Director, Industry Talent Management and Expatriate Division, MIDA

Tel.: 03-2267 6715 | Email: [email protected]

Posted on : 21 March 2019