Demand for healthcare services will continuously expanding in the future due to the projected demographic shifts, among which are the increase in aging population, life expectancy and lifestyle diseases.
Healthcare in Malaysia has an efficient and widespread system of healthcare, operating a two-tier healthcare system consisting of both a government-run universal healthcare system and a co-existing private healthcare system.
Malaysia offers top-quality healthcare services due to strict regulations and safety standards imposed by the Ministry of Health (MOH). Added with most Malaysian practitioners are well-trained doctors operating in state-of-the art facilities possessing international accreditation.
The Malaysian healthcare players are also accredited by Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH) which recognized nationally and internationally with the vision of advocating, promoting, and supporting continuous quality improvements and safety in Malaysian healthcare arena.
Moreover, a few Malaysian private healthcare players are with Joint Commission International (JCI) accreditation, whereby it is considered as the gold standard in global health care and JCI consultants are the most skilled and experienced in the industry.
Recently, Malaysia was announced as among ‘Top 20 Best Economies and First Among Emerging East Asia Economies for Ease of Doing Business’ by the World Bank Group.According to the Frost & Sullivan, Malaysia also has great potential in medical tourism. With top-notch private hospitals, ambulatory care centres and other private healthcare facilities, providing reliable, safe and effective treatments in comfortable surroundings with ease of access and affordable prices, Malaysia has certainly become a leading choice for medical tourists seeking healthcare treatment abroad, especially is South-East Asia.
According to Malaysia Healthcare Travel Council, top 5 medical tourists into Malaysia during year 2014 are visitors from Indonesia, India, Japan, United Kingdom and Australia. Future growth is expected from the Korea, Kazakhstan, New Zealand, Vietnam, Myanmar and Bangladesh.
Meanwhile, top 10 medical treatments sought by medical tourists during year 2013 are health screening, general surgery, cardiology, oncology, orthopaedics, O&G, urology, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, cosmetic & breast surgery .
Malaysia also had achieved several recognitions in terms of our healthcare industry. Among of the recognitions are as follows:-
- The International Medical
Travel Journal (IMTJ)
Medical Travel Awards for year 2015:
- ‘Medical Travel Destination of the Year’
- ‘International Dental Clinic Of The Year’: Imperial Dental Specialist Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
- ‘International Cosmetic Surgery Clinic Of The Year’: Beverly Wilshire Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
- ‘Medical Travel Website Of The Year’: Ramsay Sime Darby Health Care
- ‘Best Quality Initiative’: Imperial Dental Specialist Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
- ‘Excellence In Customer Service’: Gleneagles Kuala Lumpur.
- Listed among of the countries for ‘Where To Find The Best Healthcare In The World’ for year 2015 by the International Living (a travel journal).
- Listed among of the countries for the ‘Best Places For Affordable Healthcare Overseas As A Retiree’ for year 2014 by the International Living.